CORPORATE AND M&A
- We represented a leading Latin American and Caribbean energy company in connection with its acquisition of a 215 MW wind power plant project consisting of four wind farms in the Penonome region of Panama, a related bridge loan financing in the amount of $100,000,000, a turbine supply agreement for the purchase of 86 2.5 MW wind turbines to be manufactured in China and supplied to our client at a total project cost of approximately $450 million and a $300 million project financing with the International Finance Corporation and a syndicate of finance development agencies.
- We represented our client, a leading distributor of consumer fashion watches and accessories to the Latin American market, in the sale of its distribution business and certain related assets to Fossil, Inc. (NASDAQ: FOSL). Founded in 2002 and based in Miami, Florida, the distributor operated in 16 countries throughout the region including Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Panama, Peru, Venezuela and Uruguay, through a network of independent distributors and local affiliates and 100+company-owned and/or operated Shop-in-Shops and retail points of sale.
- We represented a client in connection with that certain Engineering, Procurement and Construction Agreement with SOFOS Energia S.L, for a turnkey 7.2 MW AC solar photovoltaic farm to be located near Bavaro, Dominican Republic.
- We represented a client in its sale of a 60% equity interest in a world leader of a mature jet engine maintenance, repair, overhaul and testing services company. Our client retained a 40% stake in the business.
- We represented a financial technology company in the stored value account space operating in Latin America with a present emphasis on Peru, Colombia and Mexico in connection with a complex and highly technical set of agreements pursuant to which the client sold a license to Mobil Financial Services, a joint venture of MasterCard International and Telefonica S.A., for a technology platform for proposed stored value account businesses covering 11 Latin American countries.
- We represented a private equity and investment banking firm client in connection with the acquisition of schools and related facilities throughout the southeastern United States including schools in Georgia, North Carolina, Florida and Texas.
- We represented a private investment company with regards to a venture capital investment in a German phone-accessory manufacturer.
- We represent a robotic surgical instrument company with regards to ongoing corporate and financing matters.
- We represented a Florida municipality in connection with:
- the renovation and expansion of its historic convention center, featuring renovation of 500,000 square feet of exhibit space, ancillary interior spaces and convention center facade and expansion of ballroom and meeting spaces; and
- the ground lease of adjacent site for the development of the convention center headquarter hotel, to include 701 guest rooms, 99 suites, 95,210 square feet of meeting space, parking, fitness center, spa, business center and food and beverage establishments.
- We represented a real estate investment firm based in Boca Raton, Florida, in connection with:
- the refinancing of its 28-story landmark office tower located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida;
- the acquisition and financing of a premier multi-tenant office building located in Boca Raton, Florida; and
- the design and construction of a 2,200 car parking structure at the Lakes on Post Oak development in Houston, Texas.
- We represented a real estate investment firm based in Los Angeles, California, in connection with:
- the purchase from The Celebration Company, an affiliate of The Walt Disney Company, of a site for development of a senior living project in Celebration, Florida; and
- the acquisition and financing of a 22.5 acre site for development of a 300 plus unit senior living project in Palm Beach County, Florida.
- We represented a real estate investment company based in Chicago, Illinois, in connection with:
- the acquisition of over 500 acres of undeveloped land in Central Florida for development of a 7,000,000 square foot logistics center; and
- the redesign of recreational facilities, guest rooms, public spaces and food service outlets of an Official Walt Disney World Resort located on 27 acres in Orlando, Florida.
- We represented a global banking and financial services firm in connection with $65,000,000 first lien term loan to finance the construction and development of casino project in Midwest region of the United States.
- We represented a US private equity fund in the acquisition and disposition of portfolio consisting of over 150 distressed mortgage loans and REO properties.
- We represented a Florida-based commercial bank in the workout and restructuring of over $50 million in distressed real estate loans.
- We represented a real estate developer and operator of commercial properties in connection with $43 million financing of Class A office space located in Broward County, Florida.
- We represented a global lending company in connection with a $50 million financing provided to it by the Inter-American Development bank and a syndicate of lenders in connection with the expansion of its lending products into Colombia.
- We represented a developer of renewable energy projects in a $300 million financing package for the construction of the largest wind power plant in Central America from the International Finance Corporation and a syndicate of development finance institutions led by the IFC.
- We represented a developer of renewable energy projects in a $100 million bridge financing led by Banco Espirito Santo de Investimento, S.A., New York Branch, as Administrative Agent and Banco Espirito Santo de Investimento, S.A., New York Branch, as Mandated Lead Arranger and Bookrunner.
- We represented a producer of tissue and other paper products in connection with the restructuring of its $40 million credit facilities from the International Finance Corporation and certain other development finance agencies.
- We represented a regional manufacturer of paper products in connection with the financing of a $30 million credit facility to finance the acquisition and installation of a new equipment line for the production of paper towels in Guatemala.
WEALTH PRESERVATION SERVICES
- We acted as lead counsel on estate planning for a young entrepreneur with net worth of approximately $40 million involving the use of a Family Limited Partnership, Sale to Grantor Trust and establishment of a charitable foundation.
- We acted as lead counsel on the estate plan for a multi-generational family business worth in excess of $100 million involving the use of short-term GRATs, Family Limited Partnership, QPRT and GST Trusts for grandchildren.
- We acted as lead counsel on a complex estate plan for retired business executive with net worth of approximately $15 million involving Investment Trust, Life Insurance Trust and lifetime gifting techniques.
- We acted as lead counsel on an estate plan for an ultra-high net worth client (net worth in excess of $250 million) involving the use of a Dynasty Trust, QPRT, GRATs, charitable foundation and other high-end estate planning techniques.
- We acted as the lead attorneys and worked closely with certified public accountants and other advisers on pre-immigration planning for ultra-high net worth Latin American businessman who was preparing to enter the United States involving the use of asset protection trusts, check the box elections and other pre-immigration planning strategies.
- We acted a lead counsel to high-net worth Colombian national in the structuring of the purchase of a multi-million dollar condominium unit using an offshore (British Virgin Islands) Personal Investment Company (PIC) and an offshore (Cayman Islands) Revocable Trust in order to minimize exposure to U.S. estate and income taxes.
- We regularly act on behalf of high and ultra-high net worth entrepreneurs, elite and professional athletes, entertainers, lottery winners, university professors, doctors and lawyers, small to medium sized business owners, corporate executives, and foreign nationals in connection with their wealth preservation needs.
IMMIGRATION AND NATURALIZATION
- We represented a Russian citizen faced with expulsion from a U.S. university and deportation because of unfounded allegations of criminal activity.
- We represented a leading Venezuelan banker in connection with establishing Legal Permanent Residence in the U.S. as a person of Extraordinary Ability. The individual achieved residence based on his entire career contributions and the prospective benefit to the U.S. stemming from his settlement in this country.
- We represented a Canadian investment banker in connection with establishing Legal Permanent Residence in the U.S. as a person of Extraordinary Ability based upon his expertise and banking career.
- We represented several individuals who were wrongly listed in the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Lookout System.
- One of our practitioners in the immigration and naturalization practice areas, serves as a faculty member at Fordham University’s International Institute for Humanitarian Administration.